Questo sito utilizza cookie tecnici e di terze parti. Se vuoi saperne di più o negare il consenso consulta l'informativa sulla privacy. Proseguendo la navigazione o cliccando su "Chiudi" acconsenti all'uso dei cookie. Chiudi
vai al contenuto vai al menu principale vai alla sezione Accessibilità vai alla mappa del sito
Login | Italiano  English
 
Home page

City & Campus life

Reggio Calabria is the most populous city in Calabria (about 180,000 inhabitants). Located at the southern part of the region, on the eastern side of the Strait and facing the same city of Messina, which is closely linked. It, in fact, to an increasing extent as the Metropolitan Area of the Strait of integrated socio-economic area.

The Lungomare of Reggio is a settlement of ancient foundation, of which there are obvious signs of Greek and Roman times. It was long the Byzantine city; subjected to in sec. X to Arab rule, the mid-eleventh became Norman. In the latter period is due the Abbey of Santa Maria of Terreti, damaged by the earthquake of 1908, of which some remains are preserved in the current Church of Ottimati and in the National Museum of Magna Grecia.

From sec. XII onwards, the city passed from the domain to the Swabian, Angevin until the Aragonese. In 1500 it is the turn of the Spaniards remained until the War of the Spanish Succession which decreed the end of the viceroyalty. Then began the period Bourbon, whose brief periods (the Napoleonic domination), lasted until 1861, when the peninsula was united with the Kingdom of Italy.

Rebuilt several times because of the many earthquakes that have distorted the fabric, the last one devastating of 1908, Reggio Calabria today shows the characteristics of a modern urban layout. The city center, completely redesigned with the plan for post-earthquake reconstruction, is set on a path to the board, along orthogonal axes that rise from the coastline toward the inside.

The city center is, therefore, mainly characterized by the architecture of the early decades of the '900, and presents interesting examples of Art Nouveau, Neo-Gothic (Palazzo Zerbi), neoclassical (the Teatro Comunale Francesco Cilea), eclectic (Palazzo Mazzitelli) and of the so-called "fascist" (the Railway Station, the National Museum of Magna Grecia, by Piacentini, the former barracks of the Young Fascists). In the urban context also reveals some important factories such as the Aragonese Castle (XVI century), in the upper part of the city, near the Duomo, completely rebuilt after the destruction of the previous building occurred with the 1908 earthquake, the aforementioned Church the Ottimati, the Church of Santa Maria of the Catholic, the Church of Graziella (seventeenth century), at least in part survived the earthquake of 1908. The city is also home to a National Museum which, after the one in Berlin, the largest and most important museum that preserves the remains of the Greeks, and which includes, among other artifacts of merit, the famous "Bronze Statues" and the "Head of the philosopher. "

Reggio Calabria, as has been said, overlooking the sea. Its Waterfront faces the island of Sicily and offers one of the most important botanical gardens with various species of tropical plants and ficus trees nearly a century old. Behind the town stands the Aspromonte massif, which reaches 1800 meters. high, with the ski resort of Gambarie. To the north, along the coast, there is Scilla, Homeric memory, an old fishing town in the marina area to the north where there is Chianalea, the oldest and most characteristic, built directly on the rock outcropping from the sea and very well preserved , while the upper part is the Castle of Ruffo di Calabria built on the Rock overlooking the Strait.

The climate is typically Mediterranean, with elements microclimatic variations due to the unique geographical location, at the confluence of different meteorological regions: the Ionian and Tyrrhenian and the Strait of Sicily. The city is very well connected to the rest of the world through the rail system (it is the terminus of one of the main Italian railway, the axis Rome-Reggio Calabria), the road (the A3 Salerno-Reggio Calabria), the Aeroporto Tito Minniti located a few kilometers from the city center), and the system of ferries and hydrofoils to Sicily.

The modern University Campus is located on the hills of Feo di Vito , overlooking the harbour of Reggio Calabria. It is well positioned in relation to the city and includes the teaching and administrative facilities, 6 departments, 60 workshops and services for students, divided into 4 groups:

1 - The core of the complex consists of a white stereo-metric building with large windows housing the classrooms , the Library, the Main Hall and the multimedia laboratory , providing a large welcoming space suitable for students. The longitudinal Department buildings are arranged around a large courtyard housing both - Department of Architecture (dArTe) and Department of Heritage-Architecture-Urbanism - culminating in four massive white towers and projected towards the Straits, constituting a landmark on the landscape.

2 - “Lot D” alongside the departments buildings houses a vast area that includes services and offices (UNIorienta, ATM disability, Language Centre, The International Relations Office and the Erasmus Centre). It has 3 rooms that can seat about 170 people each, used mostly by the Department of Law and Economics. The building houses the largest room, the Aula Magna, dedicated to “Antonio Quistelli”, with 400 seats and the “Medì Club,” a multipurpose space with a gym of over 350 square metres with an extensive range of machines and equipment.

3 - The core of the Engineering Department is composed of 3 buildings that stretch over a series of terraces, ramps and stairs due to the steep slope. The main building, designed to bridge the hills, houses the Departments Information Engineering, Infrastructures, and Sustainable Energy and Civil, Energy, Environmental and Material Engineering – while the Library and the Aula Magna are located in a semi-circular building. The classrooms are in the final building.

4 – The Department of Agriculture is situated on top of the hill of Feo di Vito and consists of two buildings connected to a large atrium with a large courtyard which blends into landscape.

CAMPUS

TOTAL AREA: 384,000 m2

Department of Architecture: 17987.57 m2

Departments: 2092.32 m2

Engineering: 16653.36 m2

Agriculture: 7723.48 m2

Administrative Offices: 4234.00 m2

“Lot D” 12,000 m2 includes:

1. The assembly hall of the University, 400 seats;

2. Three classrooms that can seat about 170 people each, used mostly by the Department of Law and Economics;

3. Offices, Departments and centre for students

Salita Melissari - 89124 Reggio Calabria - CF 80006510806 - Fax 0965 332201 - URP:Indirizzo di posta elettronica dell'ufficio relazioni con il pubblico- PEC:Indirizzo di posta elettronica certificata dell'amministrazione
Feed RSS Facebook Twitter YouTube Google+

PRIVACY - NOTE LEGALI